Soldier pleads not guilty in killing of suspected bomb-maker

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — A former U.S. Army commando has pleaded not guilty to accusations that he murdered a suspected bomb-maker in Afghanistan in 2010.

Maj. Mathew Golsteyn was arraigned Thursday during a hearing at Fort Bragg on a murder charge, according to The Fayetteville Observer .

The charge announced last year stems from the former Green Beret's 2010 deployment to Afghanistan when he's accused of killing the suspected bomb-maker. Golsteyn has contended the killing was justified under wartime circumstances.

Present at the short hearing Thursday were Golsteyn's wife, son and parents.

The case has drawn the attention of President Donald Trump, who suggested last year in a tweet that he would look into the matter.

___

Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com

Related News

UN reports rise in Afghan war deaths, blames...

Jul 17, 2017

A U.N. report says Afghanistan's protracted war killed a record number of civilians during the...

Taliban suicide car bombing in Kabul kills 24...

Jul 24, 2017

Taliban suicide car bombing targets minibus with Afghan government employees, killing 24

Officials: Afghan children smuggled to Pakistan...

Jul 31, 2017

Afghan officials: Children illegally being taken to religious seminaries in Pakistan to be taught...

The Latest: Afghanistan says 2 Iraq embassy staff...

Jul 31, 2017

Afghanistan's Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish has said that two Afghan employees died in...

IS targets Iraq Embassy in Kabul; all 4 attackers...

Jul 31, 2017

IS suicide bombing targets Iraq Embassy in Kabul; hours-long gunbattle ends hours later with all 4...

Watchdog: Tight security hinders oversight of US...

Aug 1, 2017

The U.S. watchdog tasked with overseeing the spending of U.S. aid to Afghanistan said unprecedented...

About Us

Buzzing Globe explores the numerous events which causes a “buzz” to the everyday individual and to shed light onto these events.

Subscribe Now!